ORANGE CITY AND DELTONA, FL
Do you suffer from halitosis, also known as chronic bad breath? No matter the cause, you don’t want to continually suffer from this issue. At Terry Soule, DDS, we can employ a variety of methods to help you combat bad breath. What secret cure for halitosis, aka bad breath, do we know? To learn more about how you can banish bad breath, read on to see what Dr. Soule recommends.
Food and Your Breath
Sometimes, bad-smelling breath is caused by smoking or as a side effect from prescription medication. Halitosis also may be caused by a dental health issue or improper brushing. In all likelihood, however, most cases of bad breath are caused by what you eat. Certain foods are notorious for causing bad breath: garlic, onions, certain spices, coffee, alcohol, and eating a high-protein, low-carb diet, just to name a few. Eating also can lead to bad breath if you’re not diligent about your oral health. Any food you eat can leave behind small particles that accumulate on or between your teeth. If not removed through diligent brushing and flossing, this food becomes fuel for cavity-causing bacteria.
Foods to Cure Your Bad Breath
Ever heard the old saying that “you are what you eat?” Just as certain foods and drinks can cause bad breath, other foods and beverages can improve your breath.
- Green Tea: Green tea contains an extremely effective antioxidant that destroys bacteria—including some of those that cause bad breath. Green tea also is a hydrating liquid that can wash away excess food that can be stuck on or between your teeth.
- Berries, Oranges & Melons: In addition to all being fruits, each of these listed also is high in Vitamin C. Eating a diet rich in Vitamin C lowers the overall population of bad bacteria in your mouth, preventing bad breath and safeguarding you against gum ailments like gingivitis. In other words, eat lots of fruits containing Vitamin C, and you can feel confident that your breath will remain fresh.
- Parsley: Some herbs cause bad breath, but parsley is the exception to the rule. Parsley is easily one of the most powerful herbs to counter bad breath. Parsley oils are so effective at banishing bad breath that most mouth rinses and toothpaste use this ingredient.
- Water: Staying hydrated by drinking water is one of the oldest and safest bets for getting rid of bad breath. Drinking water, especially in abundance, will protect your mouth by keeping it full of moisture and make it difficult for harmful bacteria to congregate.
- Yogurt: You probably didn’t expect to see dairy on this list, but studies have found that yogurt possesses excellent benefits for your oral, digestive, and overall health. When it comes to bad breath, yogurt is a miracle worker. Yogurt is abundant in live active cultures that substantially lower the population of bacteria in both your mouth and stomach that can cause bad breath. Yogurt is also a probiotic, meaning it’s full of beneficial bacteria.
Get Fresher Breath in Orange City
Have you tried our tips, yet still find yourself trying to combat bad breath? Your halitosis may be the result of a medical condition, in particular an oral health issue known as gum disease. Call the office of Terry Soule, DDS, and make an appointment. We can diagnose and begin treatment options that will defeat your bad breath. Make your appointment today by calling (386) 775-1552 if you live in the areas of Orange City, DeBary, and Deltona in Florida.