Orange City & Deltona, FL
When it comes to tooth replacement options in Orange City, dental implants are at the forefront of the dental field. Patients with missing teeth are learning that dental implants are the closest thing they can get to having their original teeth back, only better! Terry Soule, DDS, implant dentist in Orange City would like to help you learn more about dental implants, and how they could work for you.
What are dental implants and how do they work?
Dental implants consist of three components:
- Titanium post
- Custom-made porcelain dental crown
The titanium post is surgically implanted into the patient’s jawbone and is then allowed to heal for up to six months. During the healing phase, the implant fuses to the bone, and provides constant stimulation, just like the roots of our teeth do, and protects the jawbone from resorption.
Attached to the post is an abutment that serves as a connector piece between the implant post and the dental crown. The dental crown is custom-made to look like a natural tooth in your mouth.
In the end, a dental implant results in the finest tooth replacement option available in dentistry.
What are the advantages of dental implants?
Dental implants come backed with many advantages including:
- Stable, secure, and functional – Dental implants never have to be removed, like partial dentures or dentures, and are completely functional, just like your natural teeth.
- Never decay – They will not be subject to decay or cause decay in your other teeth, unlike a dental bridge, which could potentially decay underneath the dental crown portion of the replacement unit.
- Permanent – You never have to worry about removing your implant, since it is permanent, for cleaning or performing oral hygiene such as brushing or flossing.
- Builds confidence – Replacing your tooth with the most natural-looking option available means that you will feel confident when you speak and eat in front of people.
- Eat what you want – Unlike other types of replacement teeth, you can eat what you want with dental implants. Crunchy foods like raw veggies, chips, crackers, or chewy foods like various cuts of meats can be enjoyed when you have dental implants.
- Lasts a lifetime – The implant itself is designed to last a lifetime so long as you take good care of your teeth and gums to keep bacteria from harboring underneath the crown where it meets your gum line. Other tooth replacement options usually need replacing about once a decade.
As you can see, there are many benefits to dental implants. Here’s what to expect if you are considering this procedure.
What to Expect
First, your mouth is numbed, and the damaged tooth will need to be removed if it hasn’t been already. Then, the titanium post is inserted into the jawbone. Sutures may or may not be needed around your gum line. Then, you will need to allow the jawbone to heal, which may take six months.
At your next appointment, we will take impressions of your mouth and teeth that will be used to make molds to fabricate your crown. During your third appointment, we will permanently attach your new crown to your implant.
If your implant is replacing a visible front tooth, we can make a temporary restoration for you to wear during the six month healing period.
Are dental implants right for me?
Dental implants may not be the right fit for every patient. Please visit our Am I a Candidate for Dental Implants page to learn more about candidacy.
Dental Implants in Orange City
To learn more about dental implants, please contact Terry Soule, DDS, by calling (386) 775-1552 and schedule a consultation. If you are new to our practice, we currently are offering a $89 special on the initial consultation for new patients.
Terry Soule, DDS, is proud to serve patients in the areas of DeBary, Deltona, and Orange City.