Orange City & Deltona, FL
Do you have a tooth that has sustained major damage, either from an injury or tooth decay? If so, you may be able to save your tooth by having an expertly trained dentist like Terry Soule, DDS, install a crown.
Used to replace the entire exterior of a tooth, a crown prevents tooth loss while safeguarding the crucial interior structure of a tooth. A dental crown also adds stability and durability to a damaged or broken tooth.
Let’s learn more about how your Orange City dentist Dr. Terry Soule uses crowns.
Terry Soule, DDS, offers two varieties of crowns:
- PFM crowns are the more durable option, better suited for back teeth. Abbreviated for porcelain-fused-to-metal, PFM crowns have a metal substructure that is covered with dental porcelain, a beautiful material that is stain-resistant and reflects light in the same manner as natural tooth enamel. Dr. Soule also can match the color of your porcelain crown to that of your other healthy teeth. The strong metal sub-structure allows PFM crowns to hold up better in areas of the mouth where more bite force is exerted, such as molars and other back teeth that do more of the chewing work.
- Porcelain crowns are made entirely of dental porcelain. They are best suited for visually prominent areas of the mouth such as the front teeth. Porcelain crowns also are metal-free, making them a preferred treatment option for patients who may suffer from a metal allergy.
Why should I consider a crown?
At Terry Soule, DDS, we believe in preventing tooth loss whenever possible, and a dental crown can preserve your tooth, preventing the need for an extraction. A crown replaces the damaged exterior and protects the sensitive interior structure of a tooth, which if it becomes damaged, could lead to an infection or significant tooth pain.
In many cases, a crown not only protects the tooth but improves the form and function as well. This is especially true in treatment scenarios where the affected tooth is weak, misshapen, short, or brittle.
What to expect from a crown installation at Terry Soule, DDS
Your Deltona dentist can use a crown in any of these situations:
- Repairing a tooth that is fractured or broken
- Repairing a tooth that has sustained major damage from a cavity or tooth decay
- Replacing the exterior of a tooth that has been damaged by an existing filling that has begun to fail
Any crown installation takes place over two separately scheduled appointments. At the first appointment, after you receive a local anesthetic, Dr. Soule removes any damaged area of the tooth, cleans it thoroughly and takes impressions that will be used as a guide when constructing your crown. A temporary restoration is placed on the tooth. Then, at the next appointment, your permanent crown will be installed.
Dental Crowns in Orange City
Want to learn more about crowns? Contact our office at (386) 775-1552 to schedule a consultation today.
Terry Soule, DDS, is proud to serve the dental needs of patients in the areas of DeBary, Deltona, and Orange City.